After making my “Almond Joy” chocolate delight the other day, I had some leftover toasted almonds and toasted coconut flakes, so I decided to throw them into some meringues cookies. I’ve been making coconut meringues and almond meringues for awhile, but this was my first time putting both ingredients into the same batch. Yummy!!!!
Sugar-free coconut and almond meringue cookies
(aka my “Almond Joy” meringues)
- 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 Tbs. Truvia
- 1 Tbs. coconut flakes
- 1 Tbs. sliced almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (Fahrenheit).
2. Spread the coconut flakes and the almonds out on some parchment paper and bake for 5-7 minutes.
3. Place the liquid egg whites into a metal bowl and leave it on top of the stove so that the egg whites will warm up to at least room temperature or warmer.
4. Remove the coconut flakes and almonds from the oven and let them cool. Turn the oven down to 215 degrees.
5. Line another cookie sheet with parchment paper.
6. Beat the egg whites for about 5 minutes, until they start to stiffen.
7. Slowly add in the Cream of Tartar while continuing to beat the egg whites.
8. Slowly add in the Truvia while continuing to beat the egg whites. (The total beat time is about 10 minutes. You’ll know the egg whites are ready when you can turn the bowl upside down and the egg whites don’t spill out.)
9. Fold the coconut and almonds into the egg whites. (I watched THIS VIDEO to learn how to “fold.” You can fast forward to about 1:30. I learned from THIS SITE how to fold things specifically into egg whites – the key is to be gentle and quick!)
10. Use a spoon to dollop the egg whites on to the parchment paper (I like to make 36 bite-sized cookies).
11. Bake for 47 minutes, rotating the cookie sheet once at the halfway point. (Yes, 47 minutes. Not 45 and not 50.)
12. When the time is up, turn the oven off but leave the cookies in there for at least an hour, then transfer them to an airtight container.