HCG Vanilla Meringue Cookies

(Hi! If you’re looking sugar-free meringue recipes or other HCG or diet recipes, check out the recipe page of my other blog, where I’ve got things organized a little better. :-) )

When I started taking the drops again I resolved that before this diet was over, I would make a delicious batch of meringue cookies. My first attempts from early February were not exactly what you would call successful. The cookies were bland, flat, and pretty much had the consistency of Styrofoam.

The difference between those early batches and the batches I’ve made in the past two weeks is DRASTIC. I have read through soooo many meringue recipes. They all more or less had the same ingredients, with the main difference between them being the measurements. After a lot trial and error – and some burnt cookies – I have finally figured out which HCG meringue cookie recipe tastes best – to me, anyway.

HCG Vanilla Meringue Cookies – only 60 calories total!

Ingredients:

½ cup liquid egg whites AT ROOM TEMPERATURE (this is equivalent to 3 egg whites)
¼ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Tbs Truvia
(Optional: Cinnamon, Cocoa Powder)

As far as the Stevia is concerned:  So far I’ve tried Sweet Leaf, Truvia, Stevia in the Raw, and various brands of liquid Stevia. I find that Truvia is the best, especially for baking, because there is less of a nasty, bitter aftertaste. I’ve read that there is some debate over whether Truvia is truly “natural,” because of some of its ingredients. Honestly, I don’t care. It tastes the best, so that is what I use.

1. Preheat the over to 225. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

2. There’s not a whole lot to this recipe. Add the egg whites to a mixing bowl and beat for at LEAST 5 minutes until the egg whites start to stiffen. I have found that the longer you beat, the better. (Giggity giggity.) After the eggs whites are somewhat stiff, add in the Cream of Tartar while continuing to beat the egg whites. Add it SLOWLY, just a tiny bit at a time. Beat for another minute or so and then add the Truvia, SLOWLY and while still beating the egg whites. Repeat with the vanilla extract.

I ended up portioning this recipe into 18 cookies.  I did six vanillas and put them in the oven, then  I SLOWLY beat in 1/2 Tbs. of cinnamon into the egg whites. I portioned another six cookies, then added cocoa powder and did six chocolates. The problem is, when you add the cocoa powder the mixture IMMEDIATELY starts to deflate and the cookies don’t puff up as much when they’re done.

Top row from left: puffy Cinnamon, puffy Vanilla. Bottom row: deflated Chocolate.

3. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour. I still haven’t figured out the exact timing. If you go too short, then the inside tastes kind of raw and you can feel it dissolving on your tongue. If it goes too long, it crumbles practically on contact and you end up choking from the dryness. After 45 minutes, the tops start to get a little brown. At this point I stay by the oven to make sure they don’t burn. I think I turned the oven off after 55 minutes.

4. Turn off the oven but leave the cookies in there. Some recipes I saw said you can leave them in there with the door shut overnight, but I get impatient and hungry so I only leave them in there for like 20 minutes, with the oven door slightly cracked.

When I bit into that first vanilla cookie I was SHOCKED at how good it was. I nailed it.

A few days later I made another batch at my mom’s house (she’s also doing the drops). We tripled the recipe, but since we didn’t have enough cookies sheets we ended up making *really* big cookies, about the size of my fist. They looked amazing and they tasted good, but they were slightly undercooked. Instead of adding cocoa powder to the mixture we sprinkled it on top, and I felt that the chocolate flavor was actually improved compared to my other cookies.

Let me know if you try them!

(Again, for my perfected sugar-free meringue cookie recipe check out the recipes I posted on my other blog.)

About notchangingmyname

I'm a thirty-something, about-to-be-divorced, former blogger trying to navigate single life.
This entry was posted in Blog, Dieting, Food, HCG, Personal, Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to HCG Vanilla Meringue Cookies

1. Never tried meringue cookies but I’m intrigued (I love a challenge).

Do you think it would be possible to sub some honey for the truvia or would that make it too heavy?

2. Jueseppi B. says:

Reblogged this on The ObamaCrat.Com™ and commented:
    Two things I would take onto my deserted island are cookies & ice cream….third is a woman.
    Cookies & ice cream are off limits to the woman!!! The blog: “notchangingmyname” has a wonderful recipe for cookies made from meringue….check out her Vanilla Meringue Cookies…..after eating your fresh baked cookies….let me know if you notice the “HCG” part.

• Thanks again! You raise a valid point, in that I’m now wondering if people see “HCG” in the title and don’t even bother to look at the recipe…hmm…

• Jueseppi B. says:

People are a bit strange, most, not all but most are a bit slow on the uptake. Good luck with your cooking, your HCG, but especially with dating…..you are one gorgeous woman. Those men in your life are truly blessed men.

3. Tiff Benson says:

Have my cookies for me on Monday please.

4. Pingback: R3P4D5 – Red red wine, you make me feel so fine, You keep me rockin’ all of the time… | Easily Timted by Life

5. Ellie Killian says:

I’ve tried one other recipe for meringue cookies. These look wayyyy better so far! I’m on day 5 of the 17 day diet and meringue cookies are vital to my sweet tooth! Thanks for this recipe! :)

6. Eema23 says:

If you have any chocolate chips you are willing to use, they can be folded in very gently to the mixture just before you spoon onto the cookie sheet. With the recipe made with sugar I use about 1/4 cup of chips with 3 egg whites,smaller chips work better than larger ones. Keep the finished cookies in an airtight container to avoid falling from humidity (and being eaten by family members).

7. Lisbeth Marello says:

Stevia is now approved as GRAS which means that it was shown not to cause cancer and gene mutation. ..

Look into our new web blog as well

8. Rachael says:

Was your 26 calorie estimate for one cookie?

9. Terry says:

I made these and they’re delicious!

10. Pili says:

I tried making it but they just had the consistency of sugary styrofoam and hardly a cookie structure… Where did I go wrong? D:

11. JenH says:

I buy Nevada Manna chocolate chips from http://www.netrition.com. They are minis, taste great, and aren’t made with maltitol.

12. Pingback: Thank you notchangingmyname! You have saved this my round! | Momma Dramma Blog

13. meme says:

i am currently making them right now as we speak, they have been in the oven for 45 mins now but the inside is still uncooked.
    was wondering are they suppose to be soft or crispy like cookies?
    yours look like they are hard and crispy

• Yeah that should be okay. When I first take them out of the oven (or when I turn the oven off) they are a little soft, but after 20 minutes or so they will harden up, as long as the room isn’t too humid. When it’s humid I move them from the oven to the tupperware right away.

Also, don’t open the over door too often. Just once when you’re rotating, and then when you’re finished.

Good luck!

14. Patti walker says:

Just tried these and they came out absolutely PERFECT!!!! Thank you soooo much for sharing. These really help with those sweet cravings!

15. Quinn Rodriguez says:

How do you portion them out? Do you just spoon out the batter onto the plate? When I do that they just look so.. ugly haha.